[U-Boot] [ANN] Changing release cycles again

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Nov 13 13:21:57 UTC 2018

Hey all,

I had intended to put this into the release email I was going to do
yesterday.  And then I was hoping to put it into the release email I was
hoping to do later this morning.  But since it feels like that won't be
happening too quickly, I'm doing this standalone.

As I've been saying both in private and at least semi-public (however
you wish to think of #u-boot on IRC on Freenode), I've been thinking
about the request to go back to a 3 month release cycle for a while.
And while I still think 2 months gives us the best trade off between
"too quickly" and "code waits too long to get merged", here's what I'm
planning to do.  The absolute next release is v2018.11, and will be done
when it's ready.  I am hopeful that will be very soon.  The following
release is v2019.01 and still on a 2 month cycle as I don't think this
is the best time of year to change things up.  Historically this has
been a small release anyhow.  After that however, lets go with v2019.04
and v2019.07.  This is two 3-month releases, and will give us a chance
to see where things are at.  I am hopeful that with about 2 months to
prepare for, and then 6 months of 3-month releases we'll all be able to
get on the same page at the end of that period and plan out the rest of
the v2019 series.

Thanks all!

--
Tom