[U-Boot] using contents from https://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot or git repo

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 14 09:41:12 UTC 2018

Dear Prabhakar Kushwaha,

In message <VI1PR0402MB3854CEF2687CDB1A35A2145C97C30 at VI1PR0402MB3854.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com> you wrote:

> I am trying to use some content from https://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot

This is a wiki, and as such it has many authors who hold the
copyrights. We don't have a clear statement anywhere how to handle
these texts, but it is pretty safe to assume they come under a GPLv2
like license.

> and http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=summary in one publication.

This is the git repository of the U-Boot code.  Here it is clear
that GPLv2 applies.

> I am not sure, if I can use content without any permission.
> or
>  I need to get special permission from someone (not sure whom).

Well, there is a pretty clear "Copyright © 2002-2018 by DENX
Software Engineering" at the bootom of each page - so yes, you should
ask.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I can't understand why  people  are  frightened  of  new  ideas.  I'm
frightened of the old ones.                               - John Cage