[U-Boot] [swupdate] Re: SWUpdate - U-Boot environment library dependency

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 14:31:50 UTC 2018

On 11/21/2018 10:20 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Stefano,

Hi,

> In message <96836cc1-e4bb-a2a2-05ac-056053b4c426 at denx.de> you wrote:
>>
>> I would like to see the library under LGPL instead of GPL2, too, and I
>> raised this issue when I started SWUpdate, but I was not very active to
>> promote this. Tom, Wolfgang, is there chances to switch license ?
>
> Relicensing requires permission from all who contributed to that
> code.
>
> Consider mine as granted.
>
> But someone hat to invest the efforts to analyze the code so we
> know who to ask, and then collect all the permissions...
>
>> A env library is very welcomed by many customers, because they could
>> integrate it in their application if license allows it.
>
> Agreed.

Then again, U-Boot environment structure is trivial, crc, flags, data,
there is no complexity involved. There is probably some complexity in
the backing store access stuff (MTD, block devs, legacy stuff), but that
should either use some MTD utils libs, basic block access primitives or
be given a once-over and possibly be dropped.

I think prototyping a library from scratch that's LGPL would be a few
days' work and the benefit would be tremendous all over.

Marek Vasut