[U-Boot] [PPC] Internet connection on qemu-ppce500

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 8 13:52:30 UTC 2018

Dear Vincenzo,

In message <QrD9VP_oWKoLFr3jCKh8r0KLut7JWZZeSNUReP5RgGYhSJJZ-JOLzruPOyGAIuh43ZZwemF7pHPH2oHo4NpcLJbM5yJkWOSs6CwmVJbCo4w=@protonmail.com> you wrote:

> > qemu-system-ppc -cpu e500v2 -M ppce500 -nographic -kernel ~/u-boot -net nic -net tap,ifname=tap0,script=no
>
> I tried to use different -net options in qemu but the problem is always the same.
>
> And from the u-boot source code I have edited the board file qemu-ppce500.c in order to have a few ENV variables (since I can't save any env variables from the running U-boot in qemu).
>
> > ethact=eTSEC1
> > ethprime=eTSEC1

I doubt that there is a qemu emulation for the TSECs...

> The image is compiled using of course: qemu-ppce500_defconfig.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is it even possible to initialize the Ethernet port?

Well, if you check the configuration you will see that it has a
plain

	# CONFIG_TSEC_ENET is not set

so the TSECs will indeed not work.  But then, there is

	CONFIG_E1000=y

It would have been helpful if you had included the actual boot
messages of your system.  There should be some E1000 network
interface visible...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You can do this in a number of ways.     IBM chose to do all of them.
Why do you find that funny?        -- D. Taylor, Computer Science 350