[U-Boot] Moving MX25 to SPL

Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi michael at amarulasolutions.com
Tue Oct 16 11:02:53 UTC 2018

Hi Stefano

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 12:59 PM Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 16/10/2018 12:32, Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out how move the mx25 to two stage boot using
> > SPL. Anyone know why was done it before?
> >

> It is simply because the i.MX25 is pretty old and there is quite no more
> interest on it. New projects are not started with this SOC - at least, I
> do not know myself.
>
> This corresponds to the very low number of i.MX25 boards in mainline
> (just two).
>
> Boards has still a sort of lowlevel_init.S board code, this was a
> "standard" before, and was removed for new SOCs and/or new boards.
> Anyway, it is just a signal that just a few of developers / companies
> has interest in extending the support for this SOC.

Yes I have seen but seems that I need to have this interest ;)

> > More technical question is if I can convert imximage.cfg value and let
> > it write to an spl.c file that make the same. I don't have a lot of
> > background on imx25 bootrom and what it's supporting. Can you some
> > hint?
> >

> The i.MX25 has 128KiB internal RAM, and ths makes it suitable for a
> current SPL, much better as a MX6 Solo.

It's accetable to make somenthing like this?
struct imxconfig_value {
        uint32_t offset;
        uint32_t value;
};

static imxconfig_value init_vals[] = {
        { 0xB8002050, 0x0000D843 },
        { 0xB8002054,  0x25252521 },
        { 0xB8002058, 0x22250A00 },

and having a stub just make this init on the spl.c file.

Michael

> Best regards,
> Stefano
>
> --
> DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang Denk
> Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de

| Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi                     Amarula Solutions BV |
| COO  -  Founder                                      Cruquiuskade 47 |
| +31(0)851119172                                 Amsterdam 1018 AM NL |
|                  [`as] http://www.amarulasolutions.com               |