[U-Boot] [RFC] fit: include uncompression into fit_image_load

Simon Goldschmidt simon.k.r.goldschmidt at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 06:33:49 UTC 2018

On 19.10.2018 05:25, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 17 October 2018 at 03:41, Simon Goldschmidt
> <simon.k.r.goldschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:

> We need the uncompressed size. If the legacy header doesn't have, stop
> using it and use FIT?
>
> Some compression formats include that in a header I think. But we
> should record it in the U-Boot header.

OK, we could embed this information into the FIT by extracting in
'mkimage'? That way, we know the uncompressed size...

> Ick

> Yes.

Why do we need an extra limit for uncompressed copy-only? Both load
address and size are known from the FIT.

> Fail.

> See lmb
>
>>> So I can at least give input on the memory map part :).
>>>
>>> In efi_loader, we actually do maintain a full system memory map already,
>>> including allocation functions that give you "safe" allocation
>>> functionality (allocate somewhere in memory where you know nothing
>>> overlaps).
>>>
>>> Maybe we should move this into a more generic system and reuse it for
>>> big memory allocations that really don't need to be in the U-Boot
>>> preallocated regions?
>> Hmm, inspecting this further, it seems that there is such an allocator
>> for bootm (using lmb_*() functions and struct lmb). Maybe this should be
>> better integrated into the fit loading function. I don't know if the
>> lmb functions
>> correctly detect overlapping of regions allocated by known addresses though.
>>
>> Thanks for your thoughts!
> Yes lmb is the right mechanism and I think it checks for overlap.

That didn't work for all overlap checks for me. I'll dig into it to see
what's missing for me.

Simon