[U-Boot] tbs2910 not buildable

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Sun Apr 14 11:24:41 UTC 2019

Hi Soeren,

On 14/04/19 12:46, Soeren Moch wrote:
> Hi Stefano,
>
> On 14.04.19 11:52, stefano babic wrote:
>> Hallo Soeren,
>>
>> after pulling from Tom and merging u-boot-imx, - next, your board is not
>> buildable anymore. Better: it is buildable, but size exceeds:
>>
>>        arm:  +   tbs2910
>> +u-boot.imx exceeds file size limit:
>> +  limit:  392192 bytes
>> +  actual: 396288 bytes
>> +  excess: 4096 bytes
>>
>> Just dropping CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION (I supposed EFI is not used on this
>> board), solves the issue. I can do myself in this way or let me know
>> what is your preferred way.
>>
> Hm, the full name of this board is "TBS2910 Matrix ARM mini PC", so it
> is supposed to provide a full PC environment. It supports booting from
> SATA, and such disk may as well be partitioned with EFI. It is really
> terrible to drop user visible features, just to support a new "driver
> model" that is supposed to ease life for developers, but in fact is much
> work and a real pain for maintainers of existing boards, and brings
> exactly nothing for the board's users.

I have explained my concerns in the past about footprint, too, but there
is nothing I can do. This is the way we have to go on and we have to
find solutions.

> So much for that. Now to your question.
>
> Would be OK for me to drop CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION for now since it is more
> important to get this series merged, because other boards also depend on
> the SATA patches. We can readd EFI_PARTITION support later. For sure
> there will be more patches in this development cycle.
> But if you can wait a few hours, I will look for a better solution, or
> send a formal patch for this CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION removal.

Today is Sunday, I have also not expected you was fast to answer.... ;-)

It is also fine for me to wait until tomorrow. I just want to sent PR to
Tom as soon as possible, because there are many developers waiting for
the merge from -next. tbs2910 is the only board with issues from Travis,
and I can confirm that it is still ok on u-boot-imx, next. Something new
is slipped down between 2019.rc4 and 2019.04 and at the end had
increased again the footprint.

Thanks for checking this,

Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de