[U-Boot] efi_loader: LoadOptions (bootargs)

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Thu Aug 22 23:42:27 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 07:53:46PM +0200, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> On 8/22/19 11:03 AM, AKASHI Takahiro wrote:
> >Heinrich,
> >
> >I'm now wondering whether LoadedImage's LoadOptions, which comes
> >from "bootargs" variable, should contain a command(application) name
> >as a first argument or not.
> >
> >When I tried some efi application (efitools), I found that it expected
> >so. For example, efitools' UpdateVars.efi takes
> >     Usage: UpdateVars.efi: [-g guid] [-a] [-e] [-b] var file
> >
> >and I had to passed arguments by specifying "foo db DB.auth" for
> >"bootargs" where foo makes no sense.
> >
> >What do you think about this issue?
>
> Do you relate to
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jejb/efitools.git?

Yes.

> This style of parsing LoadOptions is defined by the EFI shell. See
> function ParseCommandLineToArgs() in
> ShellPkg/Application/Shell/ShellParametersProtocol.c.

So do you mean that Shell.efi is responsible for adding a command name
to LoadOptions (or bootargs) as a first parameter or that LoadOptions
is solely for Shell environment?

If so, should we do the same thing at bootefi?

> If UpdateVars.efi would work differently it could not be launched via
> the shell.

Well, I'm trying to run UpdateVars.efi in a standalone way
by invoking it directly from bootefi/bootmgr and it obviously fails
due to this issue.

Thanks,
-Takashiro Akashi