[U-Boot] Load Debian/Fedora via EFI

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Mon Dec 2 15:21:03 CET 2019

On 29. 11. 19 19:23, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> On 11/29/19 11:16 AM, Michal Simek wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to boot latest debian and fedora rootfs via distro boot and
>> getting errors.
>> I have tried to run just one command and it is failing.
>>
>> ZynqMP> bootefi bootmgr ${fdtcontroladdr}
>> BootOrder not defined
>> EFI boot manager: Cannot load any image
>>
>> How to define BootOrder?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michal
>
> # Booting via boot manager
>
> U-Boot currently has no runtime support for variables. But Linaro is
> working on it. So update-grub cannot set the variables for you.

Who from Linaro is working on it? Akashi?

> You can use the efidebug command to prepare for booting via the boot
> manager:
>
> => efidebug boot add 0001 Debian mmc 0:1 \
>    efi/debian/grubarm.efi console=${console}
>
> There seems to be a bug with communication lines in U-Boot. So you
> actually have to put this into a single line.
>
> => efidebug boot order 0001
>
> Use saveenv if you want to save the settings.
>
> If you do not want to use the internal device tree load the proper
> device tree, e.g.
>
> => load mmc 0:2 $fdt_addr_r dtb
>
> Now you are ready to boot via the boot manager:
>
> => bootefi bootmgr $fdt_addr_r
>
> # Booting via distro defaults
>
> DISTRO_DEFAULTS tries to load the devicetree from ${fdtfile} and the
> UEFI binary from efi/boot/bootaa64.efi on ARM64. See
> ./include/config_distro_bootcmd.h.
>
> OpenBSD and FreeBSD follow the distro boot convention, Debian GRUB does
> not.

Fedora is the same case.
I got it working based on your guidance but would be IMHO better to
extend distroboot to cover one of the major distribution even through
workaround till variable support is done.

> # Booting via boot script.
>
> On Debian I use package flash-kernel to keep /boot/dtb in sync with the
> kernel and have a u-boot.scr.uimg script with something like the
> following lines:
>
> setenv bootargs console=${console}
> load mmc 2:1 ${kernel_addr_r} EFI/debian/grubarm.efi
> load mmc 2:2 ${fdt_addr_r} dtb
> bootefi ${kernel_addr_r} ${fdt_addr_r}

flash-kernel is interesting. It generates u-boot script but if extX
partition has no bootable flag u-boot distroboot ignores it completely.
What's your default partition setup?

> Alternatively you could use package flash-kernel and implement the
> /etc/flash-kernel/preboot.d/
> hook to start GRUB, cf.
> /etc/flash-kernel/bootscript/bootscr.uboot-generic
>
> I currently have no Fedora system in use.

you can take a look.
https://alt.fedoraproject.org/alt/

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854