Load Debian/Fedora via EFI

Ilias Apalodimas ilias.apalodimas at linaro.org
Wed Dec 4 04:07:08 CET 2019

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 08:51:09PM +0100, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> On 12/2/19 3:21 PM, Michal Simek wrote:

> >> # Booting via boot manager
> >>
> >> U-Boot currently has no runtime support for variables. But Linaro is
> >> working on it. So update-grub cannot set the variables for you.
> >
> > Who from Linaro is working on it? Akashi?
>
> I was in contact with Ilias Apalodimas but do not know who is doing the
> actual work.
>
> See https://youtu.be/SEMJGOzjrHY @ 14:00

This is still under discussion for us. We'll either support runtime variables as
defined in the UEFI spec or present a cached copy on Linux. You can then build a
capsule and update the variables on next boot.
In any case capsule updates are not supported yet, so any path we choose
requires some development.
I'll try to keep both of you updated on the development process.

Cheers
/Ilias