[U-Boot] Sharing a hardware lab

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Dec 4 23:30:38 CET 2019

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 09:23:43PM -0700, Simon Glass wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I have been meaning to have a crack at setting up a little hardware
> lab for a while.
>
> I made some progress recently and hooked up a rpi_3 with sdwire for
> USB/SD, ykush for power and a little computer to control it. It builds
> U-Boot, sticks it on the SD card and runs pytest.
>
> I pushed a tree here and hopefully you can see the 'hwlab' thing at the end:
>
> https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-dm/pipelines/148
>
> So far it is just running the 'help' test. It seems to hang with
> serial console problems if I try to do more. It is not 100% reliable
> yet. I based it on Stephen's test hooks:
>
> https://github.com/sglass68/uboot-test-hooks
>
> Is it possible to share this so that others can use the lab when they
> push trees? Is it as simple as adding to the .gitlab-ci.yml file as I
> have done here?
>
> https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-dm/blob/gitlab-working/.gitlab-ci.yml
>
> I also got tbot going in a similar way, to test booting into Linux.
> Should we look at integrating that at the same time? It should be
> fairly easy to do.
>
> I have quite a lot of random boards and in principle it should not be
> too hard to hook up some more of them, with sufficient SDwires, hubs
> and patience.

There's two parts of this.  The first part I think is that we need some
good examples of how to have one private CI job poll / monitor other
public jobs and run.  I believe some labs do this today.  This would be
helpful as at least personally I'm kicking my hardware tests manually.
This is because as best I can tell there isn't a way to include an
optional stage/portion of a CI job.

The second part is that long term, we need to most likely develop some
LAVA experience as that will get us easier access to various kernelci
labs and in turn be included in kernelci labs, when the overall SoC and
lab support being able to test firmware.

--
Tom