[RFC] new board VoCore2

Mauro Condarelli mc5686 at mclink.it
Sun Dec 15 11:20:51 CET 2019

I am trying to extend support to a new board "VoCore2" whose specs can
be found here: https://vocore.io/v2.html
Port is concerning the "ultimate" board which has all connectors in
place for SD, USB and Ethernet.
This board comes with a paleolithic (1.3.0) version of u-boot and I'm
trying to upgrade to a recent one
also because I need to implement "automatic upgrade" (possibly using
RAUC, but that is another story).

Port is working and able to boot Linuz, but it is not ready for
inclusion for several reasons
and I would like to have expert advice on how to tackle shortcomings, as
advised by stefanro on IRC:
> 6:49:14 AM - stefanro: mcon: Please submit the patches directly to the
> list, with me (and other MIPS / MT7628/88 experts - Daniel etc) on Cc.
> If you feel the patches are not ready for integration, then you can
> mark them as "RFC" in the subject.

Problematic areas I see (side from possible code style issues) are:
1) I added support for a new SPI NOR Flash and that should, probably, be
a separate patch.
2) I added support for SPI NOR partitioning and I'm unsure if that
should be in the "board definition".
3) SPI NOR partitioning is actually duplicated in ENV var (mtdparts) and
in Device Tree; I didn't find how to read it directly from DT.
4) Board also has SD, handled via MTK_SD driver, but I've been unable to
make it work.
5) Current binary is rather big and I would like to shrink it a bit, if
possible.

Any hint/criticism/advice would be VERY welcome.
Thanks in Advance
Mauro Condarelli