[U-Boot] Test failures in u-boot/master on NVIDIA HW with recent push

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Jan 18 00:50:27 UTC 2019

On 1/17/19 5:42 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 05:34:57PM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> The recent set of patches pushed to u-boot/master cause DFU failures on both
>> Jetson TK1 and Jetson TX1 (i.e. all platforms where I run the DFU test) with
>> the following in the log:
>>
>> host:
>> dfu-util -a 0 -U /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/u-boot-denx_uboot-master-test-py/U_BOOT_BOARD/jetson-tk1/build/u-boot/jetson-tk1/dfu_readback.bin
>> -p 3-2.3
>>
>> target:
>> ** Reading file would overwrite reserved memory **
>> dfu: Read error!
>> dfu_read: Failed to fill buffer
>> Tegra124 (Jetson TK1) #
>>
>> I noticed some lmb fixes in the list, so I guess it's due to that.
>
> So.. intentional!  Adding in Simon here, but I think the short answer is
> that you need to change where you're saying the file goes in memory.
> FWIW I run the DFU test on my dra7xx_evm and it's passing.

You applied a change which intentionally broke functionality??? That
sounds pretty bad...

Looking at the precise test that failed, we don't actually specify where
the data goes in memory; it's written to the filesystem and all memmory
locations are internally allocated by U-Boot. So when you say "you need
to change where you're saying the file goes in memory", do you mean via
the DFU altinfo variable (which does not specify a memory location in
this case, so I can't), or by modifying some board-/SoC-specific config
file or code to specify where DFU buffers data (in which case, I'd argue
that a backwards-compatible default should have been put in place to
prevent breaking functionality)?

The DFU altinfo values that are tested on both boards are:

Fails:

Device mmc 1 (which is an SD card):
"alt_info": "/dfu_test.bin ext4 1 1;/dfu_dummy.bin ext4 1 1",

All pass:

Device mmc 1 (which is an SD card):
"alt_info": "/dfu_test.bin part 1 3;/dfu_dummy.bin ext4 1 1",

Device mmc 1 (which is an SD card):
"alt_info": "/dfu_test.bin raw 4196352 18432;/dfu_dummy.bin ext4 1 1",

Device ram
"alt_info": "alt0 ram 80000000 01000000;alt1 ram 81000000 01000000",