[U-Boot] [RFC] ARM: omap3_logic_somlv: Enable OF_CONTROL in SPL

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Jan 28 15:14:41 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 09:08:54AM -0600, Adam Ford wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 3:39 PM Adam Ford <aford173 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 7:19 AM Felix Brack <fb at ltec.ch> wrote:

> > > On an AM335x board I had problems when moving from embedded to separate
> > > DTB. Even if deprecated you should probably give CONFIG_OF_EMBED a try.
> > > If this works you could go back to CONFIG_OF_SEPARATE and probably give
> > > CONFIG_SPL_SEPARATE_BSS a try.
> > > Also CONFIG_DEBUG_UART (assumed the pin configuration is working) did
> > > help me quite a lot.
> >
> > I had to turn off DM_SERIAL temporarily to get some debugging going.
> > I 'think' there is something wrong with fetching data from the device
> > tree.
> >
> > I tried both OF_EMBDED and OF_SEPARATE without luck.  SPL_SEPARATE_BSS is set.
> >
> > U-Boot SPL 2019.01-02697-gd01806a8fc-dirty (Jan 25 2019 - 15:22:11 -0600)
> > Trying to boot from MMC1
> > uclass_find_device_by_seq: 0 0
> >    - not found
> > uclass_find_device_by_seq: 1 0
> >    - not found
> > spl: could not find mmc device 0. error: -19
> > SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
> > ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
> >
> > I can see the mmc0 device is appearing in my SPL dtb file.
> >
> > I am not sure what these values are support to be, but I was able to
> > do a dump of my spl device tree:
> >
> >  dtc -I dtb -O dts spl/u-boot-spl.dtb
>
> Looking at Tom's defconfig file changes for the beagle, I noticed he
> disabled Falcon mode.  As soon as I disabled Falcon mode, I was able
> to get my device tree based SPL to initialize both serial and MMC.
> With Falcon mode enabled, it immediately stops booting and/or showing
> anything.  There seems to be some correlation, because disabling it
> again make it work.
>
> With DM_SERIAL off, I can see the dumps to the screen and with the
> debugging enabled, I can see that it is not able to locate the MMC
> device.  I am going to assume that if it cannot find the MMC device,
> it probably cannot find the serial device which may explain why
> disabling DM_SERIAL in SPL with Falcon mode on shows text.
>
> Might someone have any suggestions as to how to get both SPL_OF_CONFIG
> with Falcon working?  I'd really like to keep that enabled by default.

Note that I disabled Falcon for the space savings to keep MLO small
enough, not that I noticed it failing to work.  Given that with my
patches what does work is loading an un-patched-for-DM-and-SPL u-boot
and doesn't work is booting the u-boot.img I just built if there's not
some overlap there.  Perhaps the addresses being used for
BSS/malloc/whatever are stomping on the image and that's wrecking
things?

--
Tom