[U-Boot] [U-Boot-Custodians] [U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] [ANN] U-Boot v2019.07-rc4 released

Troy Benjegerdes troy.benjegerdes at sifive.com
Tue Jul 2 16:04:16 UTC 2019

> On Jun 22, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:
>
> On 6/22/19 9:12 PM, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
>> On 6/22/19 8:15 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Here I think you are talking about distributions. But why not just
>>> take every second release?
>>>
>>> I have certain had the experience of getting a board our of the
>>> cupboard and finding that the latest U-Boot doesn't work, nor the one
>>> before, nor the three before that.
>>>
>>> Are we actually seeing an improvement in regressions? I feel that
>>> testing is the only way to get that.
>>>
>>> Perhaps we should select a small subset of boards which do get tested,
>>> and actually have custodians build/test on those for every rc?
>>
>> What I have been doing before all my recent pull requests is to boot
>> both an arm32 (Orange Pi) and and an aarch64 (Pine A64 LTS) board via
>> bootefi and GRUB. To make this easier I am using a Raspberry with a
>> relay board and a Tizen SD-Wire card (https://wiki.tizen.org/SDWire)
>> controlling the system under test,
>> cf https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5ugi3iX4AAh1bn.jpg:large
>> What would be needed is scripts to automate the testing including all
>> the Python tests.
>>
>> It would make sense to have such test automation for all of our
>> architectures similar to what Kernel CI (https://kernelci.org/) does.
>
> So who's gonna set it up and host it ?

I just got the infrastructure going to do this for the HiFive Unleashed
(RiscV port), but that’s only one board right now.

I’d propose that one of the responsibilities of being a custodian/
maintainer for a board and/or arch is a commitment to run a
 *simple* automated testing framework on a set of boards.

I’ve looked into KenrelCI enough to see that it seems rather
complex to get up and running. We need a dead-simple setup
(a few debian packages? A container? An SDcard image for a
BeagleBone?) that can collect serial console output and power
cycle a board.

Eventually maybe we should have a Tizen SDWire or something
like that, however that requires some real money for board
development since I can’t seem to find a source for where
I can buy an SDWire.

With the HiFive Unleashed in SiFive’s test lab, we use OpenOCD
for JTAG, all I need is one USB cable and I can load U-boot via JTAG,
and boot a recovery image, and reload the SDcard, so the SDwire is
not really necessary for boards that have easy JTAG setup.