[U-Boot] efi_loader: test_efi_grub_net()

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Tue Jul 2 16:52:29 UTC 2019

On 7/2/19 6:16 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:

> On 30.06.19 17:17, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
>> Hello Alex,
>>
>> the test/py/tests/test_efi_loader.py test for GRUB is failing for me. I
>> get the following output:
>>
>> => tftpboot 40000000 orangepi-pc/grubarm.efi
>> Using ethernet at 1c30000 device
>> TFTP from server 192.168.123.3; our IP address is 192.168.123.85
>> Filename 'orangepi-pc/grubarm.efi'.
>> Load address: 0x40000000
>>          1.5 MiB/s
>> done
>> Bytes transferred = 94208 (17000 hex)
>> => => crc32 40000000 $filesize
>> crc32 for 40000000 ... 40016fff ==> b51ed96c
>> => => bootefi 40000000
>> error: disk `,msdos2' not found.
>> Entering rescue mode...
>> grub rescue>
>>
>> Your script expects "grub>".
>>
>> I have been using the GRUB installed by Debian.
>>
>> I guess you expect the one from:
>> http://download.opensuse.org/ports/armv7hl/distribution/leap/42.2/repo/oss/suse/armv7hl/grub2-arm-efi-2.02~beta2-87.1.armv7hl.rpm
>>

>> I suggest that both prompts ("grub>", "grub rescue>") should be
>> permissible.
>

> grub rescue means that grub is in emergency mode because it could not
> find its modules. This is definitely not ok :). It usually indicates a
> device path issue.
>
> In your case, I'm slightly puzzled why grub would append ,msdos2 to a
> netboot path. But it definitely looks wrong, as it could not find the
> real config file (which should also reside at the tftp location).

The Suse copy shows only 'grub>' though I have no grub.cfg on the tftp
server nor did I install any modules.

On Debian grubarm.efi is only generated when you run grub-install and in
the generation process it adds the the relevant partition (msdos2). The
Debian package itself contains no file with an .efi extension.

Building upstream GRUB does not generate any *.efi file either. Instead
it behaves like Debian generating the *.efi file when installing GRUB on
the user chosen partition.

I wonder if it were not preferable to have the build recipe for GRUB and
the binaries on a denx.de server. Do you know the path to the Suse GRUB
build recipe?

Best regards

Heinrich