[U-Boot] pull request: raspberry pi updates

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Jul 5 14:58:44 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 01:27:24PM +0200, Matthias Brugger wrote:

> On 26/06/2019 13:09, Matthias Brugger wrote:

> >> Tom, sorry for my late answer. I was looking into this. I'll put it on top of my
> >> list for today. I think you are right, but I want to first understand 100% the
> >> implications of CONFIG_OF_EMBED.
> >>

> > Ok here is my take on that. RPi config uses OF_EMBEDED, MISC_INIT_R and
> > DISTRO_DEFAULTS.
> >
> > Environment variable fdtfile is set to the model->fdtile in board_init, which
> > gets passed in depending on the RPi we are running on.
> > In misc_init_r the fdt_addr points to the build-in DTB (set_fdt_addr) and
> > fdtfile variable is set.
> > IN initr_env fdtcontroladdr is set to the build-in DTB as well.
> >
> > I'm not sure what distro boot does with that, as I find it really hard to deduce
> > what it is doing from the header file. If anybody can tell how to easily decrypt
> > that, that would be helpfull.
> >
> So after looking more into this (holiday in between, sorry):
> distro boot tries to load a device tree from the boot medium, if this fails it
> uses the embedded device tree blob.
>
> Tom, I suppose you refered to the fact that you can get a device tree from the
> FW that starts u-boot. This is not enabled in the defconfig. So from my point of
> view it makes sense to create a new config which uses the DTS for the board. You
> can't be sure that your setup has the dtb in the right folder, which is used by
> distro boot before falling back to the embedded DTB.

Thanks for digging more.  The first thing is, shouldn't we be taking in
the patch (not right now of course, release is days away) that enables
taking the dtb we're passed since that enables the normally documented
Pi-way of doing overlays?  And the second thing is, with the release
scheduled for Monday, should I still be looking at this PR as-is or do
you want to re-spin with only important bugfixes?  Thanks!

--
Tom