[U-Boot] Standalone program help needed

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jul 11 11:50:31 UTC 2019

Dear Szabolcs,

it is always good style to keep the mailing list on Cc: so others
can benefit as well from any replies you get.  [Also it's a good
idea to post a summary after you solved the problem.]

In message <CAH_3R3KqpSFF-Wn1ZQ1fV3KMzZwFzgjpqXO9Zvuz6jpat46GeQ at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Yes, I tried 200 different options/ versions.., therefore the two different
> memory address. I think, that is some cross-compiler bug..

I cannot see any evidence that supports such a speculation.

Instead, you should read the FAQ, especially [1]

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/MyStandaloneProgramDoesNotWork

> I tried compile totally different ways the hello_world.bin. Maybe the
> problem I use yocto Poky... (?)

Did you ever try to _read_ the entry point address from your
resulting binaries?  This is mandatory, as it's the only way to know
where to load your image, and where to start it.

Speculating about the addresses will never work.

> That is very flustrate me. I read everything on the net, I tried every
> version.. but not solved. I saw really good tutorials. Everybody said works
> with that.. therefore Im thinking about .. maybe Yocto poky thing that.

Yocto has nothing to do with that.  You must first understand that
standalone programs are very promitive - they can only be started
exactly from the entry point address which gets defined when linking
the image, and when loading the image you must make sure this
address really matches the addresses in memory.  Otherwise it will
simply crash.

> I have just one question, how could run the in-built example from u-boot
> commandline? Just check works or not or .. just I needed a reference point,
> what needed work (if not.. i talk with guys in the Yocto list..)

This is NOT a Yocto problem.  You should read the FAQ, use "nm" to
determine the entry point address (and it's offset to the begin of
the binary image), and then load the image to the correct place in
your memory and start it at it's real entry point address (and not
at some randomly guessed values).

> I do apologize, if that was a spam.. just I read and tried everything and
> not work.. today I try to compile native way and without yocto.

this will not change anything.  This is not a problem of Yocto or
your tool chain or how you compile.  It's a matter of using the
correct addresses.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
You can love it, change it, or leave it.    There is NO other option.
But do not complain - it is your own choice...                  -- wd