[U-Boot] [RFC, PATCH v4 04/16] env: flash: add U-Boot environment context support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 19 13:11:26 UTC 2019

Dear Takahiro,

In message <20190719083010.GT21948 at linaro.org> you wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 10:14:06AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> > Dear AKASHI Takahiro,
> >
> > In message <20190717082525.891-5-takahiro.akashi at linaro.org> you wrote:
> > > This patch shows how environment storage drivers should be modified
> > > at the minimum to support contexts.
> >
> > This commit message is misleading.  No part of this patch is related
> > to contexts.  What it acually does is adding support for variable
> > sized environment blocks.  The commit message should be fixed.
>
> Please note that this patch (or even all the patches in this set)
> are not intended to be merged as they are.
> This is an RFC in order for me to determine if you agree with
> the approach I take here or not. This is the primary goal.
> The code itself is nothing but a help for your understandings
> of my basic ideas.

Agreed.  Please consider my comment as help for restructuring this
patrch set and improving commit messages.

> > Also this commit makes me wonder if you have tested your patches for
> > bisectability.
>
> Again, not.

I already mentioned that I think the whole patch set should be
restructured.  For example, adding support for volatile vaariables
is one logical thing; adding support for auto-save another one;
extending the env (and eventually called driver) functions by a
dummy context parameter (which is initially 0 everywhere, and unused
in the code) is a single step before you actually introduce
contexts, etc.

For each step, code size changes (especially for SPL) and
bisectability shpuld be checked.  But these are actually general
rules for all patches ;-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
How many seconds are there in a year? If I tell you there are 3.155 x
10^7, you won't even try to remember it. On the other hand, who could
forget that, to within half a percent, pi seconds is a nanocentury.
                                                - Tom Duff, Bell Labs