[U-Boot] 32-bit Tegra build failure in u-boot-dm

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Jul 19 18:08:29 UTC 2019

On 7/18/19 7:21 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 09:52, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
>>
>> Simon,
>>
>> All 32-bit Tegra boards appear to be failing to build in u-boot-dm.git
>> master branch with:
>>
>>>    BINMAN  u-boot-tegra.bin
>>> binman: Unknown entry type 'u-boot-spl' in node '/binman/image1/u-boot-spl'
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/u-boot-denx_uboot_dm-master-build/src/u-boot/Makefile:1437: recipe for target 'u-boot-tegra.bin' failed
>>> make[1]: *** [u-boot-tegra.bin] Error 1
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/lib/jenkins/workspace/u-boot-denx_uboot_dm-master-build/build/u-boot/jetson-tk1'
>>> Makefile:148: recipe for target 'sub-make' failed
>>> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
>>> make: Leaving directory '/var/lib/jenkins/workspace/u-boot-denx_uboot_dm-master-build/src/u-boot'
>>

> Thanks for the report. I cannot repeat this on my system or on travis.
>
> https://travis-ci.org/sglass68/u-boot/builds/560617394
>
> Can you try running the build with BINMAN_DEBUG=1 and see if that
> shows anything?

This seems to be some kind of incremental build issue related to .pyc
files. Specifically, I can repro the problem an arbitrary number of
times in the Jenkins build directory or a copy of it, but if I delete
tools/binman/etype/entry.pyc then the issue goes away. I notice that
tools/binman/etype/entry.py doesn't exist any more, and I wonder if this
is anything to do with tools/binman/entry.py now existing and causing a
name collision? Given I've solved it by cleaning, I guess I won't
investigate more, although I worry the same issue will come up in other
branches once your changes are merged there.