[U-Boot] friendlyARM s5p4418 Migration to Video DM - Splash Screen

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Fri Jul 26 03:59:54 UTC 2019

Hello Stefan,

Am 25.07.2019 um 15:58 schrieb pm.stefan:
> Hello,
>
> currently I try to migrate the friendlyARM U-Boot from
> https://github.com/friendlyarm/u-boot (v2016.01, for boards with s5p4418
> SOC) to the current (official) U-Boot version.
>
> Now I have some trouble migrating to Video DM. "CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN" is
> used and therefore an appropriate screen is displayed. With the updated
> code this is not working anymore because the probe-function is not
> called (the bind-function is called). My new driver declaration is as
> following:
>
> U_BOOT_DRIVER(nexell_display) = {
>      .name = "nexell-display",
>      .id = UCLASS_VIDEO,
>      .of_match = nx_display_ids,
>      .bind = nx_display_bind,
>      .probe = nx_display_probe,
>      .priv_auto_alloc_size = sizeof(struct nx_display_dev),
> };
>

> In "doc/driver-model/README.txt" the following is stated:

> 2. Activation/probe
>
> When a device needs to be used, U-Boot activates it, by following these
> steps (see device_probe()):
>
> But if "CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN" is defined then the video device "needs to
> be used" and the probe-function should be called? Or do I have to call
> the probe-function by my self? If so how?

You do not need to call probe on your own, you must "simply" use the
device ...

In ./common/stdio.c I see:

370 #if defined(CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN) && defined(CONFIG_CMD_BMP)
371         splash_display();
372 #endif /* CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN && CONFIG_CMD_BMP */

Do you have defined CONFIG_CMD_BMP ?

bye,
Heiko
Phone: +49-8142-66989-52   Fax: +49-8142-66989-80   Email: hs at denx.de