[U-Boot] Kconfig options for several boards

Linder Pascal Pascal.Linder at edu.hefr.ch
Thu Jun 6 11:40:08 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I would like to turn on configurations for several Keymile boards, which are all using the Kirkwood architecture. Now, I do not want to change every defconfig file one after the other. Until now, we have used a common header file, but with the conversion to Kconfig another method has to be elaborated.

While searching in the U-Boot source code, I found two different manners to fulfill our needs:

  *   in arch/arm/mach-kirkwood/Kconfig:

config TARGET_KM_KIRKWOOD
    bool "KM_KIRKWOOD Board"
    select BOARD_LATE_INIT
    select DM
    select DM_SPI
    select DM_SPI_FLASH
    imply CMD_CRAMFS
    imply CMD_DIAG
    imply FS_CRAMFS

  *   in board/keymile/km_arm/Kconfig:

config BOARD_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS # dummy
    def_bool y
    select DM
    select DM_SPI
    select DM_SPI_FLASH

Which one do you guys prefer and for what reasons? Also, I would like to know what the dummy keyword is doing in the second proposition (found that in every usage of BOARD_SPECIFIC_OPTIONS).

Many thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Pascal Linder

Student Telekommunikation Netzwerke und Sicherheit

Klasse T-3b