[U-Boot] Default environment file

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Jun 12 08:43:26 UTC 2019

Hi Pascal,

On 12/06/19 10:20, Linder Pascal wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I am currently moving the configurations of the KM boards from header files to Kconfig. But for the customly defined environment variables I did not found a decent solution until I have come across the default environment file, which seems very interesting to me.
>

> To this day, nevertheless, it appears that noone made use of the CONFIG_USE_DEFAULT_ENV_FILE configuration defined in env/Kconfig. Does anyone still have an example for this kind of environment definition or knows how to create it?
>

> In my opinion, this could be highly relevant for the transition away from the header files in include/configs.

Fully agree. Rather, I do not think there is a relevant example. But the
environment is something like data and should not be part of the header
file as it is for histoical reason. I added some times ago a way to
extract the environment from the header and make the transition easy
(see make u-boot-initial-env). And if the environment is split from the
header as CONFIG_USE_DEFAULT_ENV_FILE allows, it is also easier to set
an own environment via OE BSP layer without pushing for each small
change to U-Boot. Not only, environments often conflict, and what is
good for a project becomes evil for another one.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de