[U-Boot] RPi Compute Module DTB naming scheme

Stefan Wahren stefan.wahren at i2se.com
Wed Mar 13 21:14:51 UTC 2019

Hi,

recently i stumbled upon this issue [1] in Arch Linux. The obvious issue is the difference of the DTB naming between U-Boot und Linux.

>From my point of view is that the Compute Module is only a SoM and not runnable standalone. So the name bcm2837-rpi-cm3.dtb is only half of the truth. So i decided to append the carrier board (IO board 3 in this case) to the dtb name like for NXP i.MX6UL SoM. But there are many more carrier boards out there.

The problem is that the Compute Module don't have a chance to detect the connected carrier.

A pragmatic approach would be to rename the dtb entry to bcm2837-rpi-cm3-io3.dtb which is suitable to boot in most cases.

Or we keep the name in u-boot and it's up to the user / distributor to choose the right DTB.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Stefan

[1] - https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=13486