[U-Boot] Adding F2FS support

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Mon Mar 25 14:13:37 UTC 2019

Hi Juraj,

> Hello,
>
> I've started to work on adding F2FS support to U-boot.
>
> After a quick search of the U-Boot mailing archives, I see that
> support for multiple file systems, like ZFS was already added by
> reusing existing GRUB code.
>
> F2FS was added to GRUB last year, in this commit:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/commit/?id=71f9e4ac44142af52c3fc1860436cf9e432bf764
> so I'd port that to U-Boot.
>
> F2FS has also been added to the Linux kernel in version 3.8 and is
> licensed under GNU GPLv2, so there shouldn't be any issues with that
> as far as I know.
>
> I plan to use the ZFS patch as a starting point, and reference other
> fs patches and recent ZFS updates when needed.
>
> Are there any potential issues or anything else I should know before
> I start working on the patch?

I don't know when the ZFS port was prepared, but please keep in mind
that in last 1-2 years u-boot was massively reworked:

- Kconfig migration from <include/configs*.> - all new options shall go
  to Kconfig
- Device Model support - most notably the F2FS would require working on
  top of "block device" layer,
- SPL/TPL rework