[U-Boot] Automated/remote flashing of R-Car3

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Tue May 7 13:23:12 UTC 2019

On 5/7/19 12:41 PM, Eugeniu Rosca wrote:
> Dear Marek, dear Kieran,

Hi,

[...]

> 1.c Use OpenOCD
> + Presumably same advantages as using a Lauterbach
> + Based on Kieran's https://github.com/kbingham/renesas-jtag
>   and on Adam's https://github.com/ntfreak/openocd/commit/1afec4f561392
>   the solution is currently in use.
> ? Any ideas on the model/price of the JTAG adapter?

Any FT2232H (the H is important, due to MPSSE) works.
I like Flyswatter2 from TinCanTools.

> ? Not tested. Any patches needed on top of vanilla OpenOCD?

http://openocd.zylin.com/5149 and related ones, it adds RPC HF support.
However, there are two problems with this:
1) Even with buffered write, the programming is slow
   - This could be improved by running code on one of the Gen3 CPUs
     instead of whacking registers via JTAG adapter. I believe that's
     what lauterbach and everyone else does too. The data upload to
     SRAM/DRAM is fast via JTAG, register IO is not great.
2) LifeC locks the RPC HF access
   - This is a problem, since the JTAG probe cannot access it once
     it's locked. There might be a way around it, but it's rather
     nasty -- use boundary scan test mode to either flip MD pins or
     access the HF bus directly and bitbang at least erase command
     to wipe the first few sectors, then reset the CPU and have it
     drop to SCIF loader mode, then stop the CPU and reprogram the
     HF (since the SCIF loader runs in EL3 and does not touch the
     lifec settings.

Neither of 1) and 2) is implemented, but can be implemented if there is
interest.

> 1.d. Use CPLD Configurator
> + H3_M3_StarterKit_Configurator.exe is a Windows tool shipped by
>   Renesas, hence readily available, which allows to modify the MD
>   pins, to conveniently switch between QSPI/Hyperflash/SCIF
>   boot mode from a GUI
> + Most of the advantages pointed out above
> - ULCB-only solution (i.e. does not apply to Salvator-X)
> - Requires a Windows host

Where can I obtain this and are there sources / documentation available?

Marek Vasut