[U-Boot] AM3517 SPL fails with CONFIG_DM enabled

Adam Ford aford173 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 18:43:11 UTC 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 1:25 PM Simon Goldschmidt
<simon.k.r.goldschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 15.05.2019 um 20:12 schrieb Adam Ford:
> > I am trying to add DM support in SPL along with device tree support
> > similar to how it's being done for the omap3_logic boards.
> > Unfortunately, I think something is going wrong in the initialization
> > with CONFIG_DM enabled for SPL because I get no text data, and it
> > doesn't appear to boot.
> >
> > I tried enabling DM in SPL and using the older platdata method without
> > success.  I have disabled DM_SERIAL in SPL and tried enabling the
> > serial debug stuff, and I get nothing.  I don't have a debugger, so
> > it's a bit more difficult to troubleshoot.
> >
> > The main difference between the am35 and omap3 is the memory
> > controller, and I've tried to model the am35 after the omap3 boards I
> > also maintain.  I was hoping someone might have any suggestions on how
> > to track down the issue.  As of right now, I have OF_CONTROL working
> > in U-Boot and with DM disabled in SPL, everything is good.
>
> I don't know that mach, but reading the files, you're calling
> 'spl_early_init()' from your 'board_init_f()'. The problem I had there
> was that I did not have enough heap - and notice you need pre-reloc heap
> enabled.

I have a device tree setup with a variety of pre-reloc entries.  There
is an omap3-u-boot.dtsi file which sets this up.
dtc -I dtb -O dts spl/u-boot-spl.dtb lists a bunch of nodes for gpio,
mmc, serial, and some misc dependencies.

Is there somewhere else I need to enable the pre-reloc stuff?

> spl_early_init() parses the dts and binds the drivers, and even the
> default CONFIG_SPL_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN of 1 KiB wasn't enough for me. Oh,
> and of course you need CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F enabled when calling
> spl_early_ini() from board_init_f in SPL.

My updated defconfig file has:

CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN=0x4000
CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F=y