[U-Boot] U-Boot PXA support

Marcel Ziswiler marcel.ziswiler at toradex.com
Tue May 21 10:33:39 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-05-21 at 12:50 +0300, Alex Sadovsky wrote:
> It's slightly off-topic but I wonder whether this ongoing deprecation
> of ARMv4 and ARMv5 (first in GCC, then in U-Boot) really simplifies
> anything at all.
> There are tons of devices that are still working good and there are
> even ARMv5-based MCUs that are still produced (such as CH561
> manufactured by WCH).

Please note that as of today Marvell is also still producing them PXAs
which are not to go end-of-life before later next year I believe.

> IMHO it makes sense to drop only the XScale-specific tuning first and
> to treat PXA (and similar CPUs) as a more generic armv5te. I wonder
> what to do when GCC drops ARMv5 completely...

I believe it was only an issue with early gcc 8 but does work just fine
again with later 8.2 or 8.3 versions.

However, what is more concerning to me is that in today's convoluted
moloch known as U-Boot there may simply not be any space any more for
something truly embedded but somewhat limited like PXA based hardware.