[U-Boot] Cannot boot mx6qsabred with 2019.07-rc2

Marek Vasut marek.vasut at gmail.com
Thu May 23 14:04:17 UTC 2019

On 5/23/19 3:59 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 10:49:11AM -0300, Fabio Estevam wrote:
>> Hi Peng,

>>> So what is the real direction moving to use SPL driver, non-dm is allowed in future?
>>
>> We are very limited in space when CONFIG_SPL_DM is used on imx6q-sabresd.
>>
>> With CONFIG_SPL_DM selected the size increase due to the three dtb's
>> is about 8kB.
>>
>> Even with CONFIG_SPL_DM disabled we ony have 1kB of free space, so I
>> still want to optimize the size further.
>
> So with CONFIG_SPL_DM we're overflowing by ~7kB?
>
>> Two options that I want also to remove are:
>>
>> CONFIG_SPL_FS_EXT4=y
>> CONFIG_SPL_I2C_SUPPORT=y
>>
>> We are at -rc2 now, and I would really like to have mx6sabresd booting again.
>>
>> Please check my v2 series and see if it looks good.
>
> We certainly want to do something to fix the regression, agreed.
>
> Looking at the config, can we just use a fake DTB for SPL that works on
> all 3 boards, rather than 3 DTBs?

Mind you, all of that seems like a workaround. Removing functionality
just to fit the monster with DM/DT in is a no-go. R-Car Gen2 doesn't use
DM/DT in SPL because it just won't fit and I believe that absolutely
makes sense ; why should we impose DM/DT in SPL on MX6 only to make it
less usable?

Marek Vasut