[U-Boot] [RFC] Codepages for console, video, FAT file system

Heinrich Schuchardt xypron.glpk at gmx.de
Thu May 30 10:38:04 UTC 2019

The Linux console typically is running with Unicode. So with a serial
connection we are transferring UTF-8. In the UEFI sub-subsystem we also
assume that UTF-8 is used for the console.

Linux typically mounts FAT file systems assuming codepage 437 for the
filenames. Windows assumes codepage 1250.

Currently when accessing the FAT filesystem the console characters are
used verbatim without conversion to codepage 437 nor 1250 which leads to
incorrect filenames when the partition is mounted in Linux or Windows.

The drivers/video/vidconsole-uclass.c has a comment that it is assuming
codepage 437.

Some keyboard drivers also assume codepage 437.

My suggestion to overcome the chaos is that we change all our coding to
assume that the console talks UTF-8 and the FAT filesystem gets a
customizing setting defining if it is mounted as codepage 437 or 1250.

Best regards

Heinrich