[U-Boot] Pull request: u-boot-net.git master

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Sat Nov 2 15:05:20 UTC 2019

On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 04:30:11PM +0200, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 at 16:12, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > sorry for pulling up such an old thread. Are there any news on this? Because
> > > I've had the same fix for the atheros PHYs posted to the u-boot mailing list
> > > lately (without knowing anything about this thread).
> > >
> > > So with that rule "don't break old (and very wrong!) DT blobs" we seem not
> > > to be able to fix any serious errors. Because while it works for the most
> > > cases eg. phy-mode = rgmii-id, it wont work (and cant be fixed!) for
> > > rgmii-txid (or was it rxid? the one where the hardware default is enabled).
> > >
> > > I could also post my series without fixing that issue and just adding clock
> > > support. But I'd rather see that fixed.
> >
> > So, there's patches to fix / keep cpsw working in U-Boot.  So while I
> > believe that Linux broke the rule of "DT is ABI" I've also gone
> > (virtually) hoarse pointing this out to the people that were supposed to
> > care.  So it's on my short list to grab the changes that are needed for
> > the TI platforms and we can grab all of the other changes as well.
> >
> > --
>
> Tom,
>
> How come the people who proclaim that DT is ABI (which it is, nobody
> is saying otherwise) are the same as (or do it in the name of) those
> who don't follow it?

It's a good question, and I don't know why no one cared.

> Had your boards been written with the correct phy-mode in the first
> place, no breakage would have happened, and maybe the Atheros PHY
> driver bugs would have been caught earlier.

Yes, it's true that had the problem been caught 6 years ago, a lot of
things would have been better.  But it wasn't.

> I agree with Michael that interpreting the "DT is ABI" phrase as "be
> compatible with past mistakes" (which are not in the ABI
> specification, but in its interpretation, at that!) is only going to
> lead to a cacophony of incoherent interpretations, which at some point
> will become impossible to reconcile.

Part of the problem here is that I was not one of the people at the time
saying that "DT must be ABI".  I was in fact worried that there would be
a pain to fix broken DT files once they were out in the wild.  Other
people said it would be fine and that it had been done for a long while.
And that future break would be handled in a backwards compatible way.

But here we are.

> And for U-Boot, I guess the point is moot, since the DT blob is
> typically packaged with the bootloader binary anyway.

Right, so that's the whole problem.  You can't pass the old DTB to the
new kernel and have things work.  Since the example in question is an
EVM rather than shipping HW platform based on the EVM, we can say "No
one shipped the DTB embedded in to the physical HW, just pass along the
new DTB!".  I am far from convinced that there's not custom hardware
based on the EVM design and reference dts file that won't hit a problem
here when moving up.

But again, I've given up.  I say that the ABI meant that the wrong value
was supposed to work since that's what happened and a new version of the
binding needed to be used where the right value must be used.  Others
disagree.  I'm not holding U-Boot up on the new changes over this, I
just haven't put together the PR.  It's on my short list now.

--
Tom