[U-Boot] [EXT] Re: Cavium/Marvell Octeon Support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Nov 5 08:33:35 UTC 2019

Dear Aaron,

In message <5376617.97hUrJXovB at flash> you wrote:

> > Again you don't answer my question.  Why do you need a special new
> > API for such code?  Why do you not just link that code with the rest
> > of U-Boot?
>
> The code in question that is calling the API is not GPL and hence cannot be
> linked with U-Boot though the phy code is GPL.

Ouch.  I was afraid to hear that.

Please be aware that your newly created API does NOT implement a GPL
license exception.  the only interface that allows for non-GPL code
to be run under control of U-Boot is the standalone program
interface, which is intentionally very restricted.

In other words: what you are doing here is a clear (and intentional,
which makes it even worse) GPL license violation.

> > It has been mentioned before, but just to be sure: this code which
> > uses your new API is licensed under a GPLv2 conforming lincense?
> >
> There should be no need. None of the code is linked against U-Boot, either at
> compile time nor at runtime. The application doesn't even know where it is
> located except by looking for a named block of memory.

It does not have to be linked.  You access internal interfaces of
U-Boot that have not been exported for non-GPL use, so your code
still has to be licensed under GPLv2 or a compatible license.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I've finally learned what `upward compatible' means. It means we get
to keep all our old mistakes." - Dennie van Tassel