[U-Boot] Please pull u-boot-fdt

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Nov 5 23:12:46 UTC 2019

On Tue, Nov 05, 2019 at 05:23:51AM -0700, Simon Glass wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Passing run here:
>
> https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-dm/pipelines/1210
>

> The following changes since commit 73b6e6ad254b36763419cdd3fdf406c0094517b7:
>
>   Merge tag 'u-boot-imx-20191104' of
> https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-imx (2019-11-04
> 12:57:41 -0500)
>
> are available in the Git repository at:
>
>   git://git.denx.de/u-boot-fdt.git tags/fdt-pull-5nov19
>
> for you to fetch changes up to 388560134b99dc4cc752627d3a7e9f8c8c2a89a7:
>
>   binman: Move to use Python 3 (2019-11-04 18:15:32 -0700)

Now first,
Applied to u-boot/master, thanks!

And second, which is why I've included the board maintainers list and
custodian lists, this causes a bit of size growth everywhere just about
(tbs2910 being the exception) because by default upstream now has
various input validation routines.  It doesn't catch "tell the hardware
to overvolt something" but does catch "pass garbage in the property so
we can overwrite the stack and ..." type problems.  And it's
configurable.  If you turn off all of the validation stuff, which we do
in SPL/TPL by default (size concerns!), in the main U-Boot we go from a
size growth to a size shrink.  An arbitrary PowerPC board I picked to
confirm this on grows by 985 bytes now, but if I turned everything off
it would shrink by 1100 bytes.  There's an inbetween setting that would
probably result in neutral size change.

The default is all of the input validation we can do because I believe
it's important to validate inputs when we can validate them.  I also
firmly believe board maintainers know their requirements best and can
provide a different value for their board(s).

--
Tom