[U-Boot] required host packages on Travis CI

AKASHI Takahiro takahiro.akashi at linaro.org
Wed Nov 6 07:12:40 UTC 2019

Tom,

On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 09:07:04AM -0400, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 01, 2019 at 02:34:35PM +0900, AKASHI Takahiro wrote:
> > Tom,

> > > The README is woefully out of date and I addressed that as part of:
> > > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?series=138421
> >
> > Oooops, I haven't noticed it.
> >
> > > Please note that moving forward, the GitLab and Azure CI files need to
> > > be kept up to date as well, but with at least one of them being updated
> > > I can help with the other two.  Thanks!
> >
> > Although I don't understand what you mean above very well,
> > some questions:
> > 1) Is it good enough just to put a package name in .travis.yml's addons
> >    if all the required binaries (commands) are installed in standard
> >    PATH?
>
> For Travis, the list of packages there is what we apt-get install, so
> yes, it's found in the normal PATH and we can add to that as needed.

Good.

> > 2) I need efitools package, but a version provided in xenial(16.04) is
> >    quite old and some command has a fatal bug. So my current py test
> >    will fail.
> >    We need v1.5.2 or later of efitools, which is only available
> >    in cosmic(18.10) and later.
> >    How can we address this issue? Do we need some script to build efitools
> >    on our own on GitLab/Travis server?
>
> Currently, Travis, GitLab and Azure all use Bionic.  Is the version of
> the tool available there good enough?

Not really. The version in Bionic(18.04) is still v1.4.2.
Only Cosmic(18.10) and later support v1.8.1, which should work.

> If not, can we grab only the
> tool .deb and install that by hand?  We have to do that for libmpfr4 for
> example today.

>From where do you fetch a pre-built package of libmpfr4?
future release of ubuntu?
If so, we may want to try one from Cosmic or later.

> If we can't then yes, this is yet another thing that we
> need to figure out a better way of dealing with between Travis (where we
> build QEMU as needed) and GitLab/Azure (which uses a Docker container we
> manage, and so build QEMU once).

Or I don't think it difficult to build it on our own
as it depends only on libefi, sbsigntool and openssl (command).

> > 3) (Not specific to secure boot test)
> >    Does "su" or "sudo" command work on Travis CI server?
>
> sudo is available and is working today in all 3 CI servers.

Good.

Thanks,
-Takahiro Akashi