[U-Boot] [EXT] Re: Cavium/Marvell Octeon Support

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 6 15:06:17 UTC 2019

Dear Aaron,

In message <BYAPR18MB24402A81E226896D208669F5B17E0 at BYAPR18MB2440.namprd18.prod.outlook.com> you wrote:

> > Definitely not.  You could not implement any of this without heavily
> > relyin on and deriving from internal interfaces of U-Boot which are
> > not exported for non-GPL use.
>
> See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.en.html#GPLInProp=
> rietarySystem
>
> This behaves exactly in the manner that is permitted by the GPL.
> They are completely separate programs.

Are they?

You wrote:

"There is no linking. Only a call table descriptor is published in a
named block of memory."

I can only interpret from that that there is a call table, where your
applications call into interfaces that have not been exported for
non-GPL use.  This is not what I call "completely separate".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for
the first time.                                   - Alfred E. Wiggam