[U-Boot] U-Boot for the Socfpga Arria10 board

Wolfgang Grandegger wg at aries-embedded.de
Mon Nov 18 18:08:24 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm trying to understand what is necessary to get mainline U-Boot
booting from the eMMC of an Arria10 board, which is significantly
different to the Cyclone 5.

I'm playing with U-Boot v2019.10! I find some related documentation at
[1]. Section "Arria 10 SoC - Boot from SD Card " seems to apply to the
mainline U-Boot as well, at a first glance. Is there some similar doc
for mainline U-Boot? What are the differences in mainline? Is it working
or is something missing?

So I need at least three partitions on the eMMC:

1. VFAT partition with u-boot.img and fit_spl_fpga.itb
2. A2 partition with 4x u-boot-spl.sfp (or u-boot-with-spl.sfp)
3. Linux partition

Where do I specify the physical number of the partition 1.?

Is it still possible to load the secondary bootloader (u-boot.img) from
offset 0x800 of the A2 partition? It seems that "SPL_FS_FAT" breaks it.

[1] https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloader

TIA, Wolfgang