[U-Boot] Maximum size of u-boot.imx for TBS2910 board

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Fri Nov 22 03:58:29 UTC 2019

On 11/22/19 4:41 AM, Tom Rini wrote:
[...]
>>> Perhaps.  But my point is that every little functional change or
>>> enhancement does not need a Kconfig option.
>>
>> Except this leads to slow and steady accumulation of bloat, and as we
>> already see for quite a while, this is problematic for more and more boards.
>
> And "bloat" and "features" are interchangable terms.

Nope, bloat is unhelpful growth of size, features are actually
helpful/useful.

> I really am trying
> to be more responsive than ever to size growth in common, rather than
> board specific areas.  And I agree, some investigation in to ways that
> might reduce the size of binary support for USB HID devices is good.

So we agree that's what this series should fix ?

> Figuring out if we can make this series:
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/?series=135448
> not also increase the overall size, or increase it less, is good.
> Hiding the content of 2/5 behind a CONFIG option in turn brings us back
> to "the code is too messy and full of #ifdef" lines.

Which might be somewhat better than if the code is sprinkled with tiny
chunks of random pieces of code which are never used, but in total add
up to a lot of unused code in the binary.