[U-Boot] [U-Boot-Board-Maintainers] [RFC] Eliminate boards not using CONFIG_DM=y

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Tue Nov 26 08:11:51 UTC 2019

On 11/26/19 12:16 AM, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> Dear maintainers,

Hi,

> we have been trying to move to the driver model for several years now.
> Starting in 2018 we have added warnings to the Makefile that boards not
> supporting the driver model will be eliminated. Still 24 % of the
> configuration files have not been converted and do not even use
> CONFIG_DM=y.
>
> If we want to get rid of legacy drivers, at some point we have to remove
> the 347 configuration files in the list below not using the driver model.
>
> I suggest to do this directly after the release of v2020.01 scheduled
> January 6th.
>
> This should not stop the maintainers from reinserting the boards after
> conversion to the driver model.

Some boards just cannot accommodate this DM stuff. For those boards,
it's just bloat without any useful added value. Hence, these boards
would be removed because they cannot accommodate arbitrary bloat. This
makes U-Boot not-so-universal bootloader anymore, but rather a bloated one.

I don't think we can force boards out or impose DM on everyone unless we
can solve this bloat issue first.

[...]

Marek Vasut