[U-Boot] [EXT] Re: Cavium/Marvell Octeon Support

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Oct 31 13:26:51 UTC 2019

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 11:36:19PM +0000, Aaron Williams wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:05:25 PM PDT Tom Rini wrote:
> > External Email

> > On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 03:50:00AM +0000, Aaron Williams wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I have been tasked with porting our Octeon U-Boot to the latest U-Boot
> > > and merging it upstream.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > I want to jump back up back to the top of this thread.  And first I want
> > to say that I am glad that there is official desire to upstream support.
> > This is good.  My concern is that the plan seems to be, at a very high
> > level, "get everything we have for every feature upstream".  But as been
> > said elsewhere this would roughly double the total LOC for the project,
> > and it's not like we're a new project with a small handful of things :)
> > It's impossible for the community to review that much code in any
> > meaningful way over anything less than a period of several years.  I
> > know you've said that to support various customer use cases you need all
> > sorts of other things, and while I'm certain that's true, I believe the
> > plan needs to be to step back and pick the smallest possible testable
> > unit, and upstream it.  And add to it, small pieces at a time.  Thanks!
>
> It might be easier if I were a maintainer for our SOC to limit the needed
> review of a fair bit of the code. I have already found I can cut out a large
> chunk of our code by removing support for our older models. Much of the code
> has been very well tested, for example our serdes initialization and DRAM
> initialization code. That's not to say I can't do some cleanup.

Don't worry, I totally expect you to become the maintainer for your SoC,
that's key to making sure the SoC-specific stuff is done right :)  But,
you're not the first big SoC to migrate from an internal fork to
mainline and have a seemingly impossible number of LOC to deal with.
It's why I'm saying you need to start with something absolutely as small
as possible, and move forward.

> [...]
>
> Additionally I have identified a number of register definition files I can get
> rid of, including one that's 2.3MB in size! These files tend to be huge
> because they contain definitions for every single chip and revision as well as
> big and little endian definitions. On top of that, there are a huge number of
> comments. Each field contains all of the text that is in our hardware
> reference manuals. There is no dearth of comments. I should be able to cut the
> size of the remaining files to 1/4th their current size or even smaller.
>
> Some files will still remain quite large, however, such as our serdes
> initialization and DRAM initialization code (which I plan to re-architect
> because the original author didn't believe in functions due to stack
> limitations. (it is well commented though). If you ever want to learn all the
> gory details of DDR4 link training and finding trends and so-forth it's all in
> there. The current memory initialization code is over 1MB in size. I plan to
> cut this down and break it up in a clean manner. The initialization code has
> grown in complexity and size over the years as various instabilities have been
> identified and fixed. The DRAM initialization code for our OcteonTX2 CPU is
> almost as large, though this code has been cleaned up and re-written. There
> really is no way to avoid this. The OcteonTX and OcteonTX2 DDR initialization
> code is similar to that for Octeon. In the case of U-Boot on our ARM SoCs,
> though, initialization is done before U-Boot is loaded.
>
> I'll move the init code to drivers/ram/marvell/octeon. It will be about twice
> as large as the AXP driver (which only handles DDR3). The serdes init code I
> figure could go under drivers/soc/marvell/octeon.
>
> I noticed that there are several directories under drivers for memory. There's
> drivers/ram, drivers/memory and drivers/ddr. These should be consolidated. I
> think some code might be able to be common, such as the SPD decoding code.
> It's even possible that some algorithms might be able to be made common such
> as deskew training and read/write leveling.
>
> In terms of Octeon specific features, there really aren't too many of those
> but most of the ones we have are essential in the bootloader. There's no
> avoiding the Serdes and low-level network initialization. The serdes init code
> works across all networking interface types (SGMII, 1000Base-X, XAUI, RXAUI,
> XFI, XLAUI, 25G (XLAUI), SATA, PCIe, SRIO plus all the variants (i.e. KR). It
> also configures all the clocks and equalization. It's not like a simple
> gigabit NIC nor is it offloaded to some other layer. Some of this code will
> come later, for example support for NUMA with CN78XX (96 cores, 256GiB of
> RAM).
>
> Currently we are using 39MB under arch/mips. I think I can easily cut this
> down to 15MB or smaller, especially by moving some code here to the
> appropriate driver directories (i.e. DRAM,  pcie, watchdog, etc.)

Most modern SoCs are pretty large.  Taking this one step at a time and
evaluating and re-architecting code along the way and we'll get there.
You're probably going to run in to a lot of code that needs to be
adapted to new frameworks, too.  What I strongly encourage from the
example of previous SoCs that started out this way is to think of your
internal tree as a reference only.  Sure, you'll want to grab as much of
the complex init sequence code when moving things over, but it shouldn't
be thought of as "move board X/Y/Z over" but "start adding board X with
minimal peripherals" and add on top.

--
Tom