[U-Boot] [EXT] Re: Cavium/Marvell Octeon Support

Aaron Williams awilliams at marvell.com
Thu Oct 31 18:04:51 UTC 2019

On Thursday, October 31, 2019 6:26:51 AM PDT Tom Rini wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 11:36:19PM +0000, Aaron Williams wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 30, 2019 3:05:25 PM PDT Tom Rini wrote:
> > > External Email

> > > [snip]
> > >
> > > I want to jump back up back to the top of this thread.  And first I want
> > > to say that I am glad that there is official desire to upstream support.
> > > This is good.  My concern is that the plan seems to be, at a very high
> > > level, "get everything we have for every feature upstream".  But as been
> > > said elsewhere this would roughly double the total LOC for the project,
> > > and it's not like we're a new project with a small handful of things :)
> > > It's impossible for the community to review that much code in any
> > > meaningful way over anything less than a period of several years.  I
> > > know you've said that to support various customer use cases you need all
> > > sorts of other things, and while I'm certain that's true, I believe the
> > > plan needs to be to step back and pick the smallest possible testable
> > > unit, and upstream it.  And add to it, small pieces at a time.  Thanks!
> >
> > It might be easier if I were a maintainer for our SOC to limit the needed
> > review of a fair bit of the code. I have already found I can cut out a
> > large chunk of our code by removing support for our older models. Much of
> > the code has been very well tested, for example our serdes initialization
> > and DRAM initialization code. That's not to say I can't do some cleanup.
>
> Don't worry, I totally expect you to become the maintainer for your SoC,
> that's key to making sure the SoC-specific stuff is done right :)  But,
> you're not the first big SoC to migrate from an internal fork to
> mainline and have a seemingly impossible number of LOC to deal with.
> It's why I'm saying you need to start with something absolutely as small
> as possible, and move forward.
>
> > The changes to U-Boot itself should be relatively small as long as I can
> > keep much of our code under arch/mips/arch-octeon and
> > arch/mips/cpu/octeon much like how our ARM code is. For anything that is
> > applicable to other architectures I will place it in the appropriate
> > locations.
> >
> > Our ARM code is quite a bit simpler than MIPS because on ARM most of the
> > heavy lifting is done by our "BDK" bootloader as well as ATF. On ARM,
> > U-Boot doesn't need to deal with SFPs, serdes initialization, DRAM
> > initialization, hot plug or a myriad of other issues.
> >
> > I noticed the same with X86.  If it weren't for these other layers the X86
> > code would also be quite large.
> >
> > I have already identified quite a few very large files that will be
> > removed, such as the error handling code for or Octeon2 and earlier CPUs.
> >
> > Additionally I have identified a number of register definition files I can
> > get rid of, including one that's 2.3MB in size! These files tend to be
> > huge because they contain definitions for every single chip and revision
> [...]

This is the goal. It should be easier to develop the first port without
networking support since the image can be booted over PCIe though the
networking support will be key because the customer disables this access. We
plan to adapt to the new model. I've been working with it for some time with
our OcteonTX line which was just upstreamed.

-Aaron