[U-Boot] [EXT] Re: Question about device tree usage and ranges

Aaron Williams awilliams at marvell.com
Thu Sep 19 22:59:45 UTC 2019

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 4:43:27 AM PDT Stefan Roese wrote:
Hi Stefan,

> Hi Aaron,
>
> On 19.09.19 13:35, Aaron Williams wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In my device tree I need to translate some address via ranges but I'm
> > running into some issues. If I use ofnode_get_addr_size() it is not using
> > the #address-cells and #size-cells nor is it performing the ranges
> > translation. It always assumes #address-cells and #size-cells is 2 and
> > doesn't translate.  Is this by design?
> >
> > If, on the other hand, I use ofnode_get_addr_size_index, it is having
> > problems on ARM64. One problem I see is in of_translate_one in
> > fdt_support.c. Shouldn't there be a fdt32_to_cpu or fdt64_to_cpu for the
> > address after the memcpy in of_translate_one? I'm seeing the wrong endian
> > address and size show up.
> >
> > OF: ** translation for device console at 0 **
> > __of_translate_address: bus: default, address: 00000007fff46d7d
> > OF: bus is default (na=1, ns=1) on pci-console at 0x03000000
> > OF: translating address: 00000000
> > OF: parent bus is default (na=2, ns=2) on soc at 0
> > OF: walking ranges...
> > OF: default map, cp=0, s=1, da=0
> > OF: parent translation for: 80003000 80400000 <======= WRONG ENDIAN!
> > OF: with offset: 0
> > OF: one level translation: 80003000 80400000 <======= WRONG ENDIAN!
> > OF: parent bus is default (na=2, ns=2) on
> > OF: no ranges, 1:1 translation
>
> Without looking deeper into your mail, let me ask if you enabled
> CONFIG_(SPL_)OF_TRANSLATE?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

Yes, CONFIG_OF_TRANSLATE is enabled.

In looking at the code, it does not come into the picture when
ofnode_get_addr_size() is called. It is used in ofnode_get_addr_size_index(),
however. Also, ofnode_get_addr_size() does not honor the #address-cells and
#size-cells whereas the other function does. Furthermore, the code does not
translate the endianess in of_translate_one() which is used in
ofnode_get_addr_size_index().

-Aaron