[RFC 1/4] dtoc: add POC for dtb shrink

Walter Lozano walter.lozano at collabora.com
Tue Jul 7 16:32:45 CEST 2020

Hi Rasmus,

On 7/7/20 11:15, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
> On 19/06/2020 23.11, Walter Lozano wrote:
>
>> Some additional reduction could be possible by only keeping the nodes for
>> whose compatible string is supported by any enabled driver. However,
>> this requires to add extra logic to parse config files and map
>> configuration to compatible strings.
> If this can be done after building the U-Boot (or SPL) ELF, can't it
> just be done by doing 'grep -a' on that? Or, probably a little more
> efficient, running "strings | grep -E '^[a-zA-Z0-9,._-]*' | sort -u",
> slurping in the output of that in a python set() and just looking there.

Thanks for your review and suggestion. Your approach is interesting,
however, I wonder, won't we get a lot of strings which are not
compatible strings? How could be filter this list to only include those
strings that are compatible strings?

Also the idea if parsing config and Makefiles would be useful to only
process file drivers which are going to be used, and prepare for
instance the compatible string list as described in "[RFC 3/4] dtoc: add
support for generate stuct udevice_id", which can be found in

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/20200619211140.5081-4-walter.lozano@collabora.com/

Do you think we can handle this in some other more efficient way?

Regards,

Walter