Using gerrit or github for review?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon Jul 13 22:36:32 CEST 2020

On Mon, Jul 13, 2020 at 12:25:42PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At present U-Boot uses the mailing list for patch review. What do
> people think about trying out geritt or github for this? I'd be
> willing to do a trial with the -dm mailing list.
>
> My idea is that patman would email out the patches and also upload
> them to one of these systems. With geritt, emails are sent every time
> there is a review, but for github I'm not sure.

As you said, you also intended to include gitlab in the list.

So, things that I think could be better, or more widely known, would be
how to trigger Azure CI runs (as there's good resources available for
free) and GitLab for non-custodians.  By which I mean, anyone can get a
CI run on Azure today via a GitHub PR.  Making that known more widely
would be good.

For patch review, are there any of the Linux kernel bots that are well
enough documented for someone else to pick up and use?  I feel like our
biggest problems are:
- Lack of reviewers in general for various areas.
- Lack of feedback to users (developers) before being picked up for
  general changes.

For the second problem, I feel like some of the Linux bots would be a
little helpful, but probably require some tweaking (figure out when /
how to fire off more limited CI, or just do a daily CI run vs every
patch, given the size of our CI build).

--
Tom