Using gerrit or github for review?

Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi michael at amarulasolutions.com
Wed Jul 15 08:39:39 CEST 2020

Hi all

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 3:08 AM Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > > workflow?
> > >
> > > If u-boot was using github, I would have contributed long ago
> > > and I suspect there are others in the same bucket.  Thats my
> > > perspective at least :)
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > to provide a different perspective: if U-Boot would have done
> > everything inside github instead of using its traditional
> > mailinglist-based workflow, I would never have contributed to
> > U-Boot, and moving everything from the mailinglist to github
> > would make any future contributions infeasible for me.
> >
> > The github workflow makes it impossible to open an issue or to
> > comment on an existing issue or to provide feedback about a patch
> > without being a github customer, and becoming a github customer
> > is not an option for me (and quite a number of other open-source
> > developers) as the github TOS contain clauses that I (and other
> > people) consider completely unacceptable.
> >
> > Besides the aforementioned points I am generally concerned about
> > the closed nature of the github issue- and pull-request system.
> > While it is of course easily possible to move a git repo from
> > github to somewhere else, it is as far as I know (please correct
> > me if I should me misinformed here) not possible to export the
> > comments and discussions in issues and pull requests in any
> > meaningful way to some other hosting platform, which creates a
> > strong vendor-lock-in once a project starts using the github
> > issue and pull-request facilities.  With the traditional
> > mailinglist-based workflow on the other hand, moving everything
> > to another hosting platform is trivial, so vendor-lock-in
> > is not a problem there.
> >
> > Another problem that I see in the github workflow is that it
> > requires being online all the time while the mailinglist-based
> > workflow makes it easy to read and comment on patches while being
> > offline.  I am sure that many people will now think "everybody is
> > online all day nowadays", but that's not true everywhere.  I for
> > example travel a lot by train and use the time on the train for
> > catching up with current developments and for reviewing things.
> > Where I live, for most practical purposes being on the train
> > effectively means being offline as far as modern web applications
> > are concerned.  Availability of mobile internet access is spotty
> > at best, and if one has internet connectivity inside the train at
> > all, it is often so slow that using it for interactive work on a
> > web interface is not feasible.  Receiving, writing and sending
> > emails on the other hand works without problems even with spotty
> > and slow internet connectivity.
>
> Just to clarify, my question was whether we should add a new workflow.
> I don't think there is any interest in removing the mailing-list flow.
>
> Re your comments about the TOS - what specifically causes problems? Re
> exporting comment I have been wondering that...is there no API for it?
> Finally, do your comments apply to gerrit and gitlab as well?

We are using gerrit and works for us in multi-project repo very well
as in single project.
We have verification build connected to jenkins. I prefer gerrit over
github and gitlab becuse
I still don't found a way to review commit message itseld on the other
system. Gerrit store in git
review and is moving forward even on comment using email. For the last
I tried some version ago.

Michael

--
Michael Nazzareno Trimarchi