ZynqMP boot: no messages from SPL other than "Debug uart enabled"

Michal Simek michal.simek at xilinx.com
Thu Mar 12 12:44:30 CET 2020

Hi,

On 12. 03. 20 12:38, Major A wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
>> First of all I sent v2 because of dt changes to see 1.1 revision and I
>> have also tested it on real HW.
>
> Just tried your patch v2 against mainline master branch, it still
> doesn't work on my board.  I also checked your mainline-v20200312
> branch, it's exactly the same: no output from any UART other than "Debug
> uart enabled" on UART0 if I enable it in menuconfig as "early UART".

then you can add some more prints to see where it stucks.

>>> For some reason, that's no enough: I have to manually set
>>> CONFIG_DEVICE_TREE because xilinx_zynqmp_virt_defconfig sets it wrong.
>>> In any case, behaviour is exactly the same as before.
>>
>> With latest my queue it should be enough.
>> https://github.com/michalsimek/u-boot/tree/mainline-v20200312
>
> It's the same.  CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE becomes "zynqmp-zcu100-revC"
> whatever I do, there is no trace of the value specified in the
> DEVICE_TREE environment variable.

export DEVICE_TREE=...
should cause that CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE will remain assigned to
zcu100 but SPL/u-boot proper will be using zcu102.

You can check it by looking at build folder ls spl/board/xilinx/zynqmp/
where you see which psu_init was used (recommend to make mrproper before
you check this to remove old builds)

$ ls spl/board/xilinx/zynqmp/
built-in.o  pm_cfg_obj.o  tap_delays.o  tap_delays.su  zynqmp.o
zynqmp.su  zynqmp-zcu102-rev1.1

>> But I think that latest mainline should setup default in ITS properly.
>> You can check it by looking at u-boot.its when build is done and find
>> default configuration option which should point to 1.1 dt.
>
> From the build using your mainline-v20200312 branch:
>
>   default = "config_1";
>
> where config_1 is
>
>   description = "avnet-ultra96-rev1";