ZynqMP boot: no messages from SPL other than "Debug uart enabled"

Michal Simek michal.simek at xilinx.com
Thu Mar 12 16:22:50 CET 2020

hi,

On 12. 03. 20 15:19, Major A wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
>> ATF is not the part of boot.bin. PMUFW is the part of boot.bin.
>
> I'm confused.  U-boot requires bl31.bin while building but not PMUFW
> (unless a non-default configuration option is set).  Just to confirm
> that I'm thinking straight: ATF must be supplied in the form of a file
> bl31.bin in the SD card root directory in order for SPL to load it?

SD boot flow boot.bin which contains u-boot SPL and PMUFW.

SPL looks for u-boot.itb on fat partition which is U-Boot fit image
which contains u-boot-nodtb, ATF(bl31.bin) and dtbs.
It means flow is PMUFW on PMU, SPL -> ATF -> U-Boot proper.

bl31.bin is only required for u-boot.itb generation. If you don't pass
it it won't be included in u-boot.itb.
I haven't tested SPL-> U-Boot in EL3 but it doesn't make too much sense
anyway.

Thanks,
Michal