ext4: invalid extent block on imx7

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Mar 25 16:00:43 CET 2020

On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 07:32:30AM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 20.03.20 19:21, Tom Rini wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 08:09:53PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > => ls mmc 0:1 /usr/lib/linux-image-4.9.11-1.3.0-dirty
> > > CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [bdfff998, bdfffd98]
> > > CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [bdfff998, bdfffd98]
> > > CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [bdfff998, bdfffd98]
> > > CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [bdfff998, bdfffd98]
> > > invalid extent block
> > >
> > > I'm using master (50be9f0e1ccc) on the MCIMX7SABRE, defconfig.
> > >
> > > What could this be? The filesystem is fine from Linux POV.
> >
> > Use tune2fs -l and see if there's any new'ish features enabled that we
> > need some sort of check-and-reject for would be my first guess.
> >

> Here are the reported feature flags:
>
> has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype extent 64bit flex_bg
> sparse_super large_file huge_file dir_nlink extra_isize metadata_csum

Of that, only metadata_csum means that you can't write to that image,
but you're just trying to read and that should be fine.  Can you go back
in time a little and see if this problem persists or if it's been
introduced of late?  Or recreate it on other platforms/SoCs?  Thanks!

> Anything too fancy in here? But the method of creating this filesystem does
> not deviate from many other setups we have for U-Boot (on other boards).

Yes, but for some time now e2fsprogs has introduced new default features
that require compatibility checks.

--
Tom