u-boot environment on x86

Kim Bøndergaard Kim.Bondergaard at prevas.dk
Fri Mar 27 14:26:09 CET 2020

I'm struggling with a u-boot as an uefi overlay on x86 (currently Qemu).
Basically it is working, but I'm  now considering how /where to store my u-boot environment.

I need to have it stored in a device being accessible also from my Linux being installed by u-boot.

Anyone having had similar considerations.

I feel storing the environment in e.g. a FAT file is not the right solution. It is too vulnerable to power loss.
I'd prefer e.g. a raw sd partition, but u-boot has no means to read it right now. Making support for that would be quite easy I think.

Alternatively I know the UEFI provides means to store "UEFI variables". Anyone who knows if adding the environment as a huge UEFI variable is a way to go?

Comments are welcome

Kim Bøndergaard
Prevas A/S
Team Manager / Systems Architect