TI boards vs. distro boot

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Fri May 22 08:45:25 CEST 2020

On 21.05.20 19:05, Lokesh Vutla wrote:
> +Tom
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> On 19/05/20 1:05 pm, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Hi Lokesh,
>>
>> seems like all boards including include/environment/ti/mmc.h will only search
>> for ${boot_scripts} in the root of the target fs, not in ${boot_prefixes}. Known
>
> It searches in boot partitions of SD cards and this was always the case from a
> long time.

There is no boot partition in our case. So your open-code approach does
not find a /boot/boot.scr on the root partition. It does not evaluate
boot_prefixes for the script because it does not use scan_dev_for_boot &
friends.

>> bug? Used to work fine with your downstream U-Boot some years ago. Just updated
>
> Any chance you re collect which U-Boot version?

Oh, I found the reason: I fixed up that BSP with an own environment back
then, to emulate what proper distro boot would have found.

>> an SD card, only replacing the bootloader artifacts, and that card now no longer
>> boots.
>
> We are planning to move to distro boot completely. It should clean all the env
> variables.

That will likely help. Anything that complicates this because of
backward compatibility? Otherwise, it should just be about removing own
defines. I just cleaned up our k3-based board this way, simply dropping
all the stuff that piled up during early development.

Jan