[U-Boot] How to enable USB Mass Storage

Diego Rondini diego.rondini at kynetics.com
Fri May 22 14:16:44 CEST 2020

Hi list,

> I want to use the ums command to access the SD card of a
> A20-OlinuxIno-Lime
> board via usb-org cable. For that I start the CPU in FEL mode, download
> the
> u-boot-sunxi-with-spl.bin file by sunxi-fel tool. I do this FEL mode boot
> for
> preparation of an Einstein A20 board, which has only an internal MMC. I
> run on
> uboot serial console:
>
> => ums 0 mmc 0
> UMS: LUN 0, dev 0, hwpart 0, sector 0x0, count 0x1dc000
> Controller uninitialized
> g_dnl_register: failed!, error: -6
> g_dnl_register failed

Sorry to jump in such an old thread, but as this is still an issue in
current master (~ 2020.07-rc2) I don't think it hurts.

This error is typically encountered with Allwinner SOCs when:
CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y
but CONFIG_USB_ETHER is not set.

Enabling CONFIG_USB_ETHER=y workarounded the issue for me, as reported also
elsewhere:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/patch/CAEXMXLTm9bhX7aAub+MaZGBdw2cCsoO3nE6ep7dbm8mMryaQeg@mail.gmail.com/#1976362
http://linux-sunxi.org/U-Boot/USB_Mass_Storage#Prerequisites

Regards,